For Faculty & Staff
Find resources to assist faculty with assessment, grant proposals, pedagogy, and teaching.
Faculty and staff must present a Simmons College ID to check out materials.
Please contact the Circulation Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-521-2780 with questions about borrowing, renewing, and returning Library materials.
- Checkout Location
Library materials may be checked out at the Circulation Desk on Level 1.
- Loan Periods & Overdues
- Books: 90 days with 3 renewals
- Diversions Books: 28 days with 3 renewals
- DVDs and VHS Cassettes: 7 days with 1 renewal
- LaserDiscs: 7 days with 1 renewal
- 16mm films: 7 days with 1 renewal
- Audio CDs: 7 days with 3 renewals
- Reference Books: 24 hours
The Library emails reminder notices for overdue items. When an item is 45 days overdue, an additional replacement charge will be billed to your Library account. These charges will be cleared if the item is returned.
- Renewing & Returning
To renew items, log in to the Library Catalog with your Simmons username and password. Items that other Library users have requested and other high-demand items are unavailable for renewal.
Items may be returned:
- To the Circulation Desk
- To the book drop in Lefavour Hall, Level G (across from the restrooms)
- By mail to:
Library Circulation Desk
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115
Booking Media for Classroom Use
If you wish to play audio or visual media from the Library's collection during your class:
- Place the item on 3-hour reserve for your course using the Reserves system.
- You can only book media items that are on reserve. This ensures that the items will be available when you want to use them.
- Book the item for the day and time of your class using the Library Catalog.
- Find the item in the Catalog and click the "Book Item" button above the item's title.
- Enter the date and time that you need the item.
- Items on 3-hour reserve may not be booked for more than three hours. If you need an item for more than 3 hours, please contact the Circulation Desk at email@example.com or 617-521-2780.
- Items should be booked in advance (by 4:00 pm on the weekday before your pickup date) to ensure their availability.
- Pick up the item at the Circulation Desk on the day of your request.
Please contact the Circulation Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-521-2780 with questions about booking media.
The Library supports instructors in making books, video, and audio available for students to check-out at the Circulation Desk. Electronic articles can be linked to directly from Moodle or your course syllabus.
The Library manages a permanent course reserves collection. This means once an instructor adds an item to the course reserves collection, via the Add an Item form, it will remain on reserve until the instructor request it be removed, via the Remove an Item form. Information for students is available on the Course Readings guide.
- What can be put on permanent reserve?
Books, ebooks, DVDs, CDs, and streaming media from the Library. Instructors may also donate items. These items will become part of the Library collection permanently and will not be returned.
- How do I put ebooks or streaming media on reserve?
Use the Add an Item form to request the item. Be sure to mention in the "Item Notes" field that you are requesting an electronic format.
- What about online articles?
The Library offers suggestions on how instructors connect students with online articles and other online materials. Some recommended options are to:
- Include a citation and a direct link in your syllabus.
- Include a citation in your syllabus and instructions on how to use a citation to find a known item (e.g. a full-text article). The Course Readings guide is available with complete instructions.
- How can I view items already on reserve?
Use Find Items Already on Reserve search. You will be able to view all items that are part of the permanent course reserves collection.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If there are materials that you need for scholarship or teaching that the Library does not own, we may be able to borrow them for you from another library. To place interlibrary loan requests, log in to the ILL system with your username and password.
Go to the ILL website for more information. For questions or problems, please contact the ILL staff at email@example.com or 617-521-2796.
Log in to the ILL system to request a renewal. A renewal must be requested before an item is due. Not all libraries grant renewals.
- Overdue ILLs
Shortly before its due date, you will receive a courtesy notice reminding you that your ILL item is due soon. After 30 days, you may be billed for the item. Please note that lending libraries' replacement fees are often $80 or more.
Access to Cultural Institutions
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Simmons faculty and staff can borrow up to two passes at a time for the MFA for up to 24 hours. These passes are available at the Circulation Desk. Overdue MFA passes incur a fee of $5 per day.
- Free Days: Wednesday nights after 4 pm, admission is by voluntary contribution (suggested donation $22)
- A faculty or staff member accompanying at least 10 students can receive free admission when they book a Group Visit in advance.
- More info on the Museum of Fine Arts
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- Free admission with Simmons ID (additional fees for special exhibits)
- Guest passes are available that grant complimentary admission for one person per day when accompanied by a Simmons faculty or staff member. The one-time use passes are available at the Circulation Desk.
- Complimentary admission to special museum lectures, as well as to the special monthly series, Gardner After Hours on the 3rd Thursday of every month
- Tickets available for $10 to "Music at the Gardner Concerts" held Thursdays and Sundays
- Preferential and more flexible scheduling of group visits is available to faculty. See the ISGM Tour and Visit Policies for more information.
- More info on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- New England Philharmonic (Orchestra-in-Residence at Simmons)