Registration Procedures

Change of Name or Address

Students manage their address changes on line on AARC under personal address management. Name changes must be reported in person to the office of the Registrar. An official name change document must be submitted before the change will be made.

Heavy Academic Programs

Heavy academic programs are considered to be those in which the student carries more than 20 semester hours of credit per semester. In order to carry 20 semester hours of credits, students must be in "good standing". Undergraduate students wishing to take more than 20 semester hours of credit are required to have the Administrative Board's approval before registering. Students must submit a petition with the recommendation or comments of their advisor or chairperson of their major department to make this request. Completed petitions must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

First-semester students with one or more failing evaluations during the previous semester, and students on probation or removed from degree candidacy may not carry more than 16 hours per semester.

Changing Courses

Dropping Courses:
An undergraduate student may drop one or more courses after registration and until the Friday of the eighth week of classes by completing the add/drop form available in the Office of the Registrar and having the form signed by her advisor. The Friday of the eighth week of classes is the final date for withdrawing from a course for the fall and spring semesters. Reference the academic calendar for add and drop dates. In the event that a student drops a course after the fourth week of classes, she must also have the form signed by her instructor. A "W" will appear on the student's transcript for all courses dropped after the fourth week. All add/drop forms must be returned to the Office of the Registrar to make the change official. Any student wishing to withdraw from a course after the eighth week of classes must petition the Administrative Board. Only petitions that contain medical verification from the Simmons College Health Center or those that outline unusual circumstances beyond the student's control will be approved. Students who wish to drop a course should the refund policy carefully and meet with their financial aid counselor before dropping a course.

Dropping a course may affect a student's financial aid (loans) and merit funds (scholarships and assistantships) status. U.S. students must be enrolled at least half time to receive federal loans and usually full time for scholarships and assistantships. International students (non U.S. citizens) must maintain full-time enrollment to remain in status for immigration purposes. Before dropping any course, international students must consult with the international student advisor in the Office of Student Life.

Once enrolled in a course, a student is considered to be in that course until such time as she changes her registration in the Office of the Registrar. A student who fails to attend a course from which she has not officially withdrawn receives a grade of "F."

Adding Courses:
An undergraduate student may add courses after registration until the end of the fourth week of classes with the instructor's permission. No student will be permitted to add a course after the fourth week of classes except under exceptional circumstances as granted by the Administrative Board. During the first two weeks, a student may add a course, provided she completes an add/drop form and obtains the approval of her faculty advisor. If a student wishes to add a course during the third and fourth weeks of classes, she must complete the proper form and obtain the approval signatures of both the instructor and her faculty advisor.

Leave of Absence

An undergraduate degree candidate may apply for a leave of absence at any time after she enrolls at the College. The leave of absence may extend for a period of up to two calendar years from the start of the leave. The student may return to the College at the beginning of any term within that period by notifying the Office of the Registrar at least one month prior to the first day of class if she was in good standing at the start of the leave.

Registered students who apply for a leave after the eighth week of a semester must have their records reviewed by the Administrative Board. If the Board determines that the student was progressing unsatisfactorily in her courses at the time her leave began, the Board may impose an appropriate academic sanction (e.g., letter of warning, probation, removal from degree candidacy, or exclusion from the College). In such cases the student may apply for re-admission to the College when she wishes to return. Non-degree candidates are not eligible to apply for a leave of absence.

If, during the leave, the student wishes to take courses at another institution and transfer the credit to Simmons, she must obtain prior approval from the Office of the Registrar.

The following information must be submitted to the registrar on the leave of absence application, which is available in the Office of the Registrar:

  1. Reason(s) for the leave
  2. Plans (if known) during the leave
  3. Duration of the leave
  4. Permanent address

Students must meet with their faculty advisor and the Dean for Student Life or her designee to confirm leave plans and must obtain their signatures on the application. Students who are financial aid recipients must meet with a financial aid counselor before taking a leave.

The transcript of a student who begins a leave after the fourth week of classes will show a "W" for each of her courses. The statement "Leave of Absence" and the effective date will be recorded on the transcript. Refund policies for leave of absence students are the same as those for students who withdraw from the College.

Withdrawal from the College

If a student withdraws from all of her/his courses, fails to return from leave of absence after the date approved by the registrar, or fails to register for any courses by the end of the fourth week of classes, she/he is considered to have withdrawn from the College. No student will be permitted to register after the fourth week of the semester. All College expenses incurred by the student before her withdrawal must be paid in full prior to the release of her official records.

If an undergraduate student withdraws from the College after the eighth week of a semester, the Administrative Board will review her record. If the board determines that the student was progressing unsatisfactorily in her course work at the time of her withdrawal, the board may impose an appropriate academic sanction (e.g., letter of warning, probation, removal from degree candidacy, or exclusion from the College). An undergraduate wishing to leave the College should notify the registrar in writing in advance of her departure. She should also have an exit interview with administrative staff in the Office of the Dean for Student Life, and if she is a financial aid recipient, with a financial aid counselor. Students are urged to consult their parents or guardians and review the College's refund policy before deciding to withdraw from the College.

Participation in Commencement

Undergraduate students who are within eight semester hours of completing their baccalaureate degree may petition to participate in the May Commencement ceremony. The following rules apply:

  • Students must be within two courses of degree completion.
  • Students who wish to participate in Commencement must complete a Petition to Participate in Commencement, available from the Office of the Registrar.
  • Students who complete their work at institutions other than Simmons must complete the official transfer of credit petition, obtain the necessary signatures, and make certain that their official transcript reaches the Simmons College registrar before their official conferral date. Degree conferral dates are the third Friday of August, third Friday of October, third Friday of January and the third Friday in May.
  • Degrees completed over the summer will be awarded in August or October.
  • Students who do not complete their work over the summer months must apply for a leave of absence no later than September 1.

Transfer of Credit

Academic Year

Under limited special circumstances, a regularly enrolled undergraduate Simmons student may obtain credit for, at most, one course taken at another college during a regular academic semester if a petition naming the course, institution, and amount of credit requested is approved in advance by the Administrative Board. The student must demonstrate to the Board that the course is unavailable at Simmons and is an important part of her program.

In addition to the petition to the Administrative Board, the student must also complete a Petition for Transfer Credit. Both forms are available in the Office of the Registrar. Such a course is included in the credit restriction listed under "Heavy Academic Programs". Credit is not transferred for any course completed with a grade of less than C. In some disciplines such as nursing, a grade of C+ is required. Grades received in these courses are not included in the GPA. If the student is a financial aid recipient, she should discuss the impact of this decision on her financial aid package for that semester with a financial aid counselor.

Summer Credit

· Before enrolling in summer courses at institutions other than Simmons, students are required to complete the Petition for Transfer Credit form in the Office of the Registrar. When considering a summer school course for transfer credit, the following guidelines must be observed:

  • No credit is given for work done in a summer session lasting less than three weeks.
  • Credit granted will never exceed the face-value credit assigned by the host institution.
  • For a summer session of five weeks or less, face-value credit not exceeding one semester hour per week of the session will be granted. For example: A student who enrolls in two three-credit courses in one five-week session will receive a maximum of five transfer credits.
  • In a summer session of six to eight consecutive calendar weeks, face-value credit not exceeding eight semester hours will be granted.
  • No more than 16 semester hours of summer school credit from other institutions may be credited toward the Simmons degree. This includes summer credit completed at other institutions prior to matriculating at Simmons. A maximum of 16 semester hours of credit may be earned in one summer, regardless of whether the courses are taken at Simmons or at another institution.
  • The lowest grade accepted for transfer credit is C. Credit for a course taken elsewhere with a grade of P can transfer if the instructor from the institution is willing to convert the Pass Grade t a letter grade.
  • Quarter-hour credits transfer as two-thirds of a semester hour.
  • The Simmons College basic writing requirement, math competency requirement, and independent learning may not be met by a summer school course.
  • Courses to fulfill a mode must be indicated on the Petition for Transfer Credit form and a course description must be provided. Summer courses to be considered for the language requirement or major must receive prior approval from the appropriate department chairperson. Attach a course description to the Petition for Transfer credit.
  • Grades for course work accepted as transfer credit are not factored into the Simmons grade point average. Credit only is listed on the transcript.
  • Petitions submitted without the required signatures, course information, exact beginning and ending dates and credit hours cannot be processed and will be returned the student for proper completion. Students with questions about these policies or the interpretation of credit should consult the personnel in the Registrar's Office.

Language Placement and Transfer Credits

If a placement in language is not used within one academic year, it is no longer considered valid.

  • Students who begin language study elsewhere must be evaluated for departmental advising purposes to continue their language study at Simmons, regardless of grades received elsewhere and regardless of whether credits toward the 128 semester hours needed for graduation from Simmons have been accepted.. (It should be noted that this placement is for the student's own protection, lest she find herself at a severe disadvantage in her continuing language study at Simmons due to inadequate preparation and due to the pace and content of Simmons courses.)
  • Students who complete language study (whether in the academic year or in summer school) through the intermediate level with a grade of C or better at another accredited institution must submit their official transcript from the host institution as proof of fulfillment of the Simmons language requirement.
  • Students are reminded that they must obtain prior approval for all transfer and summer school courses language credit from the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures and the Office of the Registrar.